Sunday, June 8, 2014

That one time I was supposed to go to Boise and didn't...

So remember how I mentioned that both 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' and I would be racing the half Ironman in his hometown, Boise? Well, half of that happened this past weekend.
Let me back up a little bit... I had been training for this race and was beyond excited- not only for the race but to see all of 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter's' family and friends in his hometown. Due to the fact that I am the world's biggest procrastinator- I put off actually registering for the race and buying a plane ticket until, say, a week before the race. (I know! I'm horrible- and I'm working on it! :))

$280 dollars later, I had a plane ticket. I found it super cheap through Google- it was so easy and there was no tax! Then I went to register for the race- $290 dollars! I wasn't expecting it to be that high and then to add in the cost of shipping my bike out there, it just didn't seem reasonable to pay that much for one race.

Luckily, 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' is not a procrastination and bought his ticket and registration months ago (at a MUCH cheaper price too!) So he was still going to race and I was just going for the fun. :)

'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' left on Wednesday after work and I wasn't leaving until Friday, super lame I know. Fast forward to Friday, and I had Maria pick me up after work and take me to the airport. I got there and tried using the kiosk and it wasn't working- I found out I was at the wrong airlines kioks- ya, that was embarrassing!! So I go over to US Airways and try using their kiosk- again, it doesn't work. So I went to the counter and waited in line. (At this point, I was starting to get a little worried because it was getting close to my boarding time and I still had to get through security.) I got up to the counter and gave her my name and confirmation number and she couldn't find me either- I thought for sure Google had robbed me and I didn't buy a real plane ticket! ;)

She asked me to show her my confirmation email and when she looked at it she said it was for June 20th- not today June 6th!! First I was mortified, I still don't even know how this happened- when I finished paying for it, the confirmation page since "you flight for this Friday"...? But at this point, there wasn't much I could do. I told her I needed to change it to today. She started typing away on her keyboard and finally said it would be $688 dollars to change my ticket to today. Since I only spent $280 dollars on my ticket, I asked if I could just buy a new one. She said sure and began typing away. This time she said it would be $695 dollars to buy a new ticket.

I thanked her for her time and left the counter without a ticket. I was crushed and still trying to figure out how this mistake happened. So I called 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' and told him I wasn't coming and then called my sister and asked if she could come get me. Such a mess!

I was so bummed I was not only going to miss his race, but also seeing all his family and friends. But- the good news is, 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' did AMAZING at the race- even though his favorite person wasn't there!;)
Meanwhile, I got to hang out with my sister and her kids all weekend! Win-win! We started a HUGE project for Father's Day- I'm still not sure what we were thinking!! haha! I'll post more on that later..

Did anyone else race this weekend? 

Have you ever missed a flight before? (Or showed up on the wrong day like me!:))

What are you doing for Father's Day? 

No comments:

Post a Comment