Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Birthday cake disaster!

YOU GUYS!! Today is 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter's' birthday! I decided to make him a birthday cake that was 100% paleo. I have been pinning my little heart out for weeks now and reading all the tips and tricks of what to do if this and what not to do if that. I was totally ready to rock this cake!

I went to the store and got all the ingredients (and some super adorable dinosaur candles!) and spent the next  T H R E E  hours making this paleo cake. Everything seemed to be going just fine-and-dandy. I baked the first layer and then set it in the freezer to get hard while I waited for the second layer to bake.
Once the second layer baked, I had them both in the freezer while I whipped up the 'frosting' made out of avocados. I kept tasting it and did not taste good and was super runny so I kept adding coaco powder, hoping it would improve the flavor and help thicken it up. I don't really think it did much to either.

I was finally ready to assemble the cake! I took the layers out of the freezer and put the first layer down. I covered it in the frosting and then added the second layer. BOOM. Everything went to shit.... literally. The top layer cracked in half and started sliding off the bottom layer and the bottom layer started to crumble under the weight of the top tier.
I tried everything I could to piece it back together but every time and put a piece back on, 2 more would fall off.

I covered the whole thing in frosting and added the candles and called it good.
Carsen kept asking when we were having cake- he REALLY wanted cake! So he was super excited to lite the candles for the first time too. We sang 'Happy Birthday' and he blew out the candles.
I got Carsen a piece and he took one bite and then claimed to be 'full' and said he  was going to get ready for bed! Hahahaha!!! 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' and I both tried it and it was not good at all.

I was super bummed it turned out so bad- especially after how hard I worked on it! 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' claims it's his favorite cake ever and definitely the most memorable... but I think that's only because of how horrible it actually turned out.
I told him next year I'll make it up to him by doing a real/non-paleo cake- but he thinks this years is going to be pretty hard to top! ;)

*Have you ever had a baking disaster? This was definitely my worst.....

*What's your favorite flavor of cake? Chocolate or vanilla! Very basic.... haha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment