Monday, January 19, 2015

P.F. Chang's 1/2 Marathon Race Recap!

This weekend was the P.F. Chang's Rock n' Roll 1/2 Marathon. This was my 5th year running and I swear it get's bigger and bigger every year!
'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' did a really hard 80 mile ride (with lots of climbing) the day before, he decided he would 'take it easy' and run the race with me and a friend-- and push us to a PR, then run another 7 miles after to get in his 'long run'.

I was SO excited and nervous for this race! The fact that 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' was running with me made me pretty confident I would hit my goal of sub 2 hours but also made me a little nervous of the pace I'd have to keep (9:03 pace per mile).

We went to the expo the day before, and then headed up to Scottsdale for a friends birthday Happy Hour. We stayed for awhile and 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' got some crazy appetizers- he is a very adventurous eater. :) 
We left pretty early and hit up Oregano's on the way home so I could get my traditional pre-race meal of pasta with chicken and broccoli- no sauce. We watched a movie and went to bed pretty early.

We woke up the next morning and had several problems when we were getting ready- couldn't find things we needed, 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter's' pants were still wet, I left my banana on the counter, etc..
When we finally made it out the door and headed down to the start- it was a madhouse and there was literally NO parking. We drove around for a good 20 minutes and couldn't find a single spot. At this point, the first corral had started and 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' was about to drive home.

We finally found a spot and quickly jumped up and made our way to the start. We were stopped several times by camera people asking to take our picture- I think I had more pictures taken of us before the race than actually during it! I loved it!!
We found the birthday girl, Vero, hit up the port-o-potties, and jumped into one of the corrals. It was a little scary to see some FBI police officers walking along the gate/corral and having the dogs sniff the throw away clothes...
A couple minutes of waiting in the corral and we were off. 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' set the pace and we followed along. The first couple of miles went by in the blink of an eye and we were pretty settled into a nice pace.

We passed a couple friends along the way and it was so good to see them and hear them cheering us on. We ticked off a few more miles and everything was still going smoothly and we were still right on track.
Around mile 6 all hell broke lose. Remember that banana I left on the counter? I think it was catching up to me that I hadn't eaten anything, so I tried to take some SportsBeans and almost immediately my stomach starting hurting. I have never had anything like that happen to me running or not. It was so weird- my stomach kept contracting and getting super tight and then I felt like I was going to throw up. Once it would stop contracting- I would be fine... for a couple minutes until it happened again...

It absolutely sucked!! I told Vero and 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' to keep going I would catch up- thinking it would quickly go away... (SPOILER ALERT: it didn't...)
We did however, pass the dragon! :)
'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' was an absolute CHAMP and he kept sprinting back and fourth between me and Vero- keeping Vero on track to PR (and telling her not to worry about me :)) and then trying his best to push me- if not to break 2 hours, at least to a PR. (SPOILER ALERT: it didn't happen...) Seriously- I don't know how I got so lucky with him!!

It was hilarious to watch people around us when he would be running with me. He knows exactly what to say to motivate me. Things like "come on! you can do it!" and "you're doing great! keep it up!" do NOT work for me and so he would say things like "PR or ER" and "why are we going this slow?!?! you are not going to PR if we go this pace!" I knew I wasn't going fast enough and I knew I needed to go faster if I wanted to PR- which I so badly did. But I physically could not push my body to go any faster with the stomach issues I was having.
Two ladies even catch up to me when 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' took off to find Vero again and asked if I wanted to run with them instead. They were super sweet and I explained the situation as I ran with them until he came back.

The last few miles were the slowest and longest of my life (dramatic much?!) but we eventually made our way over the Mill bridge towards the finish. Finish time: 2:11. Not a PR and definitely not sub 2. I'm disappointed that it didn't happen, but looking at the results- we hit the 5k in 28:24 and the 10k in 57:05. So I like we were on track and I had not had any problems, we would have done it. Next time...
We finished and found Vero- who ended up with a PR of 2:03!! WOOHOOO!! Then we sat down for a couple minutes and 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' gave me his medal to hold onto and took off for his remaining 7 miles. Vero and I went to find her friend who was running the full and cheered him on. I felt pretty bad for everyone running the full because it was pretty hot out already and they all looked hot and miserable.
Not the race I wanted, but there will always be another run. I think Vero and I are looking at signing up for the full marathon for next year... that sounds crazy to me.

Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend!! 

How long after a race do you wait until you sign up for another? 

No comments:

Post a Comment