Tuesday, November 19, 2013

So glad we got kicked out!

I still can't believe Ironman is over! They weren't kidding when they said it all flies by!

After the race and after my family left, David, RunningFrida, 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' and I went to wait in line so the three of them could register for next years Ironman. With all the rumors about it selling out and not having enough spots for all the volunteers we wanted to make sure they all got registered. (I was able to register the day before the race- but I didn't want to miss the party. ;))

We got to the registration tent probably around 10:30/11pm and there was already a line of people waiting! We quickly got in line and made ourselves comfortable on the sidewalk. 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' ran home to grab our sleeping bags and was going to grab food for us on his way back. RunningFrida ran to her car to get David and her stuff. Since I was already freezing they let me borrow one while we waiting for 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter'. :)

We made friends with our 'neigbors' (? I don't know what else to call them... line buddies?) and one of them had a service dog that was super cute all bundled up on a blanket, going to town on a new bone. We all joked that we had never camped out for concert tickets or done Black Friday before, but Ironman was definitely worth it!

Running Frida also gave me the coolest gift EVER!!! A medal holder that is 100% glitter- perfection!! I absolutely love it! She made it too!

'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' called and said he was just about to stop and get the food when a team of people came over to our line. They informed us that the park officials would not allow us to camp out overnight in the park. Because of that, they were going to give us all brackets with numbers on them, to hold our spot in line so we could come back tomorrow morning at 5am when the park opens and get back in line.

I've never been more happy to get kicked out of a place before!! I immediately called 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' and told him to forget the food and just get back as soon as possible. (I wasn't sure they would give me a bracelet for him.)

We packed everything back up, got our bracelets (they gave me one for 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter!), and then went to watch the midnight finishers. Take about a perfect ending to the night!

We got all my bags and bike and headed home. After we ate and I took a shower, it was almost 2am. we had to be back at 5am so I quickly crawled into bed to try to get as much sleep as possible. I barely shut my eyes when my alarm started going off. How was it already 4:15?! We got up, got ready- I grabbed a Snuggie on the way out, and made our way back to Tempe Town Lake.

We parked pretty far away and as we were walking up I saw the longest line I've ever seen in my life! I thought the line from last year was long- but that was nothing compared to this! It was definitely over a mile long- out to the road, wrapped around, around the corner, all through the parking lot. It was insane! I felt bad now, knowing that these people had probably been waiting in line all through the night and now we just show up and go straight to the front.

While the 3 of them went to get in line for registration, I headed for the merchandise line. Since we got there a little before 5am and the merchandise place didn't open until 7- I was 5th in line. I have no idea how everyone else in line was so chipper and wide awake.... I sent this picture to 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' to show him what he was missing...

Great picture- right?! This was the middle part of it and it goes alllll the way past those tall light post and then wraps around to the right- then ALL the way back!! It was insane!!
I literally laid down on the sidewalk and curled up under my Snuggie to try to go back to sleep. haha! Running Frida came over for a little bit to keep me company and had to wake me up. Talk about life of the party! I met up with some other friends who were also waiting in line for the finisher gear and next thing you know David, Maria (Running Frida), and 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' were coming out of the registration tent and we were being let into the merchandise tent! Woohoo!!

My hair was a hot mess!
I bought a finisher's jacket, a cute sweat shirt, and a t-shirt. (Technically, 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' bought it because it shows up as a Florida purchased so my card got declined thinking it was fraud.)

After everyone was registered and I got my gear, I went to pick up my Special Needs bags. I found my bike special needs bag but couldn't find my run special needs. :( That meant that I lost my long sleeve marathon shirt. You win some, you lose some.

We got breakfast and went back home to lay around and watch TV for awhile. It was perfect.

Do you usually buy gear from a race? 

No comments:

Post a Comment