Thursday, October 30, 2014

7 things I learned from SOMA 70.3

Last weekend was SOMA 70.3. This race was such a favorite for me last year, it was the last big race before Ironman Arizona and I went into it feeling great. And I ended up with a huge PR...last year.
This year, not so much. I knew I was seriously under trained and not in the condition I was, going into SOMA last year. I was nervous and knew it was going to be a hard day. 

Here's a recap in the form of 10 things I can only think of 7 things I learned:

1. Don't go into a race under trained. Seriously, don't. It absolutely sucks. Stick to your training schedule and put in the work. Trust me, you won't regret it.

2. Even though the calendar says mid-October, the weather says summer. Hot, hot summer. When I started sweating waiting to get into the water (before 7am) I knew it was going to be a long, hot day.
3. Getting my bike tuned up before the race was the best thing ever. On my last long bike ride, I was really struggling. I was going super slow and felt like I was working way harder than I normally do. I got it tuned up Thursday before the race and it was like a brand new bike on race day! It was great- I felt like I was flying!
4. ICE! Ice was the best thing for me on the run. I filled my water bottle up with it and put a cup down my shirt. It definitely was a life saver with the brutal heat and helped me stay somewhat cool until the next aid station.

5. Having an aid station every mile of the run was AMAZING! I got so happy when I saw another aid station- no joke! Not only did that mean I got more ICE but it meant another mile down.

6. I literally have the best boyfriend in the whole entire world! No joke. He did a 3/4th Ironman the day before Soma (on his own) but was stil all over the course cheering me on and met me on both loops of the run and ran about 5 miles with me.
That shadow beside me is 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter'. :)
He ran the end of the second loop with me and really pushed the pace (for me). I was dying and he ran to the last turn with me and then was waiting at the finish line. Absolutely love him!!

7. I've never been more excited to see a finish line and cross it than I was after this race! I was just so happy to stop moving. And the wet, ice-cold, towel they give you as you cross the finish line felt like heaven!

So moral of the story- be prepared! :)

*Have you ever gone into a race under trained?

*What's the biggest lesson you've learned while racing?

No comments:

Post a Comment