Thursday, April 10, 2014

'Tis the season!

Tonight we kicked off another tri season with the first Splash n' Dash of the year!

I was a little nervous going into it because I signed up for the 1500 meter swim instead of the 750 meter swim. I really have only swam a few times since Ironman in November- I'm talking like 5-or-6 times!
Plus, since it's after work I always get a little stressed out with making it there on time with traffic and everything. Oh-- and I forgot my wetsuit! Yup! Thankfully, 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' went home after he got off before heading to the race and was able to grab it!
The weather was perfect! 
I got there and picked up my timing chip- they're doing these new disposable timing chips you wear on your ankle and they were really uncomfortable. Since they were made of plastic they kinda felt like one of those annoying wristbands that dig into your skin. I hoping they switch back to the old ones!

The water was surprisingly pretty warm, which was nice- I'm really not a big fan of freezing cold water! I feel like the swim went really, really good for me! I stayed focused and felt like I was going pretty fast. (I don't know my exact time for the swim because they just gave us the overall time for the swim, transition, and run.)

I got out of the water and hurried into transition. I took off my wet suit as fast as I could and threw on my sneakers. (I saw our friend David, in transition who wasn't doing the run portion of the race and was really jealous of him for being done! ;))

I took off on the run and felt OK. Nothing too exciting- I held a comfortable pace and wished I would have pushed it harder. I did see 'Mr. Sprinkles and Glitter' on his way back and he shouted at me to drop my arms (the same thing our running coach has been telling me for weeks now!) I'm working on it. ;)
From Instagram
My total time was 1:04:14. Not my fastest Splash n' Dash but it was fun. I wish I knew the break down of the times between my swim and my run because I really think this was one of my faster swims. Maybe next time I'll actually wear my watch!!

Do you ever race during the week? 

What's your BIG race for 2014?

No comments:

Post a Comment